Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Necessity to Speak

In his essay, “The Necessity to Speak,” Sam Hamill presents us with familiar questions which have been asked by many great thinkers since the beginning of man. He goes to great lengths to demonstrate our plight here in this world of ours.


Image provided by Microsoft

I believe we could all become more involved in the lives of others but, from a spiritual stand point, I also have an understanding as to why we, as humans, act the way we do toward one another. Hamill talks about fear, knowledge, and wisdom in a way that brings me to the realization that his view point is very humanistic. “Knowledge is the loss of innocence,” is not a factual statement. The proper use of knowledge leads to wisdom and without it we would all still be hunting and gathering. His statement would carry a lot more weight with me if he had plainly said, “they fear the truth,” and left “knowledge” out of it. I applaud the emotion and outrage he exhibits in his writing, but I also take exception to his attack on our “armed forces.” Perhaps I see the necessity for the protection afforded by or men and women who put their lives on the line every day so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have in the “US of A.”

Hamill expresses the same feelings and pain we all have experienced in our lives; the same pain evident in “the poems of witness.” None, though, can console or offer a solution to the human condition. I am a realist. The day when all men and women on this planet come to one big kumbayah party where we all get along, there are no more wars, hunger, or tragic deaths or suffering, is the same day the human race will cease to exist.

A small offering of a solution can be found here.